Home Improvement and DIY
Each month comScore creates a Data Insight presentation on a different topic in digital. In this June 2016 edition, the topic is "Home Improvement and DIY".
- The Home Category boasts about 100M visitors across desktop and mobile, and nearly 50M people have remodeled their home in the past year.
- Mobile share of dollars spent on home goods outpaces the overall retail category mobile share.
- Older, wealthier audiences visit home sites overall, while females dominate home décor / furniture sites, and home improvement sites attract more males.
- Consumers research home goods purchases by conducting many searches and visiting multiple home furnishings sites during the month.
- While traditional multi-channel retailers advertise primarily offline, e-Commerce players tend to spend more of their budget on online advertising.
- DIY sites like Etsy and Pinterest appeal to a younger demographic than the average home site, perhaps due to their cost-saving nature.