IRCE State of Online Retail Presentation
Today's connected consumer does not rely on brick-and-mortar stores, or even a desktop computer, to make purchases. e-Commerce continues to show a staggering growth rate compared to its offline counterpart, with almost 11% of all U.S. discretionary dollars spent online in Q1 2013. These online shoppers also rely heavily on mobile, as nearly half of all digital time spent on retail properties now occurs via smartphones and tablets. In this presentation delivered at IRCE 2013, comScore chairman and co-founder Gian Fulgoni explores overall e-Commerce trends, as well as the new consumer expectations around shipping and return policies.
Presentation insights include how:
- Multi-platform Internet usage has led to a doubling of digital media consumption in the past three years
- Tablet ownership has risen above 60 million people, while 137 million now own smartphones
- The average Top 50 retailer extends its desktop audience by 45% via mobile channels
- 49% of consumers say free shipping is the most valuable online shopping incentive retailers can offer
- Three out of four online shoppers say they’ve added to their cart to qualify for free shipping