Top 10 Local TV Markets
This week Houston and Dallas-Ft. Worth viewers are consuming the most hours per household, while NYC, LA, and Chicago continue to draw the largest average audiences. These same trends also can be seen across actions and shares, with LA garnering the most overall activity.
Local TV - Top Telecasts in Los Angeles, CA: Broadcast Networks
Key Insights: Los Angeles residents stuck with the classics this week across broadcast networks, consuming mainly game shows, and the local news.
- Jeopardy is the fan-favorite amongst Los Angeles Residents, with half of the top 10 broadcasts, and two of the top three broadcast spots all occupied by the hit trivia show
- L.A. residents found time to keep up with both local and national news as well, with Saturday evening’s local news averaging an audience of nearly 265k households
Local TV - Top Telecasts in Los Angeles, CA: Cable Networks
Key Insights: Political commentary and talk shows on FOX news dominated the top 10 cable telecasts in Los Angeles this week.
- Wednesday proved to be the strongest day for FNC, with three of these ten top broadcasts airing then
- Average audience across these telecasts remained fairly consistent, with a less than 2.5k average audience change across the top five broadcasts
What's Inspiring L.A. on Social Media This Week?
Key Insights: It was a “feel-good” news week in Los Angeles, with much of the trending social content coming from local TV network’s social channels bringing positive vibes all around.
Cross-Platform metrics across Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter:
- 9M video views
- 2.7M social actions
- 145K shares
- 5K Pieces of content
- 35K video shares
Definitions and Methodology:
- Cable Television - a system in which television programs are transmitted to the sets of subscribers by cable rather than by a broadcast signal and usually is a paid subscription.
- Broadcast Network Television - free, over-the-air broadcast television networks and local television stations (whether digital or otherwise) in the United States that are licensed by the FCC, regardless of whether a viewer accesses the signal of such networks or stations over-the-air or through other means.
- Average Audience (AA) – Average number of TVs tuned to an entity throughout the selected time frame
- Households (HH) – Number of unique households reporting at least one minute of viewing for the selected time frame and classification (telecast, network, etc.)
- Share (SH) – The average audience of a particular program relative to the total average audience across all programming during the same time frame. Calculated by dividing the avg. audience of a telecast and/or network by the avg. audience over all telecasts airing at the same time (x100)
- Rating (RTG) – The percentage of the household universe that viewed the classification (network, telecast, ad, etc.). Calculated by dividing AA by the total TV households in the selected market(s)
- Hours Viewed per Household (Hrs/V-HH) – Average hours viewed per household during the selected time frame
- Video Views (Cross-Platform) – Total video views across Facebook, Twitter and YouTube
- Actions (Cross-Platform) – Total number of actions (reactions, shares, comments, retweets, favorites, loves) the specified property receives during the defined time period across the combined space of Facebook, Twitter & Instagram.
- Shares (Cross-Platform) - The total number of time the specific property’s posts were shared on Facebook or Retweeted on Twitter during the defined time period.