#48 TV Market Rank
563,353 TV Households
270 Zip Codes
The Birmingham, AL market watched a total of 4.1 million hours of sports-related TV content for the week of 8/29 – 9/5
Birmingham Versus the Top 10 Local TV Markets
While the Birmingham TV market ranks 48th nationally, it exceeds all top 10 markets in hours viewed per household for the week, with 82.6 hours. Birmingham also holds its own on social media, with the market’s cross-platform video views coming in ahead of both Boston and Philadelphia.
Local TV – Top Telecasts in Birmingham, AL: Broadcast Networks
Key Insights: It’s no secret that football is king in Alabama, and this week’s rankings stay true to this trend.
- Although Birmingham residents are known for their support the University of Alabama, nearly 3 in 10 Birmingham TV households tuned in to watch the LSU Tigers take on the Florida State Seminoles on WBMA+
- While college football programming on WBMA+ (ABC) drove impressive telecast results, WBRC (FOX) was the highest rated, and most viewed broadcast network for the week
Local TV – Top Telecasts in Birmingham, AL: Cable Networks
Birmingham’s interest in football and national news resulted in key cable networks seeing success this week.
- ESPN’s college football programming accounted for all 5 top ranked telecasts this week, including both game telecasts, and general league coverage
- Despite not having any top 5 rated telecasts, FOX News Channel held its own against football this week, coming in as Birmingham’s number one ranked cable network
Local Retail Analysis - Birmingham, AL: Buffalo Wild Wings
Key Insights: Football is better with friends, especially at a local sports bar – Buffalo Wild Wings.
- Key in market ZIP codes including Graysville, Gardendale, and Cropwell are more likely to dine at their local Buffalo Wild Wings location vs the market average
- Households in Graysville for example, are 285% more likely to visit their local Buffalo Wild Wings (vs. the market average) and do so on average 1.8X per month
Roll Tide! Alabama Football takes over Social Media
Key Insights: The Alabama Crimson Tide continue their dominance off the field, as content surrounding the team resonates on social media across the Birmingham market.
Cross-Platform metrics across Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter:
- 1.0M video views
- 258K social actions
- 33K shares
- 500 pieces of content
- 3k video shares
Definitions and Methodology
- Zip % of Market Venue Visits - Zipcode number of visits to Buffalo Wild Wings divided by the market total visits to Buffalo Wild Wings.
- Venue Index - Buffalo Wild Wings's share of Zipcode venue visits divided by Buffalo Wild Wings's share of total market venue visits.
- Category Index - Buffalo Wild Wings's share of Food & Dining Zipcode venue visits divided by Buffalo Wild Wings's share of total market Food & Dining visits.
- Subcategory Index - Buffalo Wild Wings's share of Sit Down Zipcode venue visits divided by Buffalo Wild Wings's share of total market Sit Down visits.
- Avg Monthly Visits - 189 Zip code total visits to Buffalo Wild Wings divided by Zipcode unique device visits to Buffalo Wild Wings.
- Cable Television - a system in which television programs are transmitted to the sets of subscribers by cable rather than by a broadcast signal and usually is a paid subscription.
- Broadcast Network Television - free, over-the-air broadcast television networks and local television stations (whether digital or otherwise) in the United States that are licensed by the FCC, regardless of whether a viewer accesses the signal of such networks or stations over-the-air or through other means.
- Average Audience (AA) – Average number of TVs tuned to an entity throughout the selected time frame
- Households (HH) – Number of unique households reporting at least one minute of viewing for the selected time frame and classification (telecast, network, etc.)
- Share (SH) – The average audience of a particular program relative to the total average audience across all programming during the same time frame. Calculated by dividing the avg. audience of a telecast and/or network by the avg. audience over all telecasts airing at the same time (x100)
- Rating (RTG) – The percentage of the household universe that viewed the classification (network, telecast, ad, etc.). Calculated by dividing AA by the total TV households in the selected market(s)
- Hours Viewed per Household (Hrs/V-HH) – Average hours viewed per household during the selected time frame
- Video Views (Cross-Platform) – Total video views across Facebook, Twitter and YouTube
- Actions (Cross-Platform) – Total number of actions (reactions, shares, comments, retweets, favorites, loves) the specified property receives during the defined time period across the combined space of Facebook, Twitter & Instagram.
- Shares (Cross-Platform) - The total number of times the specific property’s posts were shared on Facebook or Retweeted on Twitter during the defined time period.