State of the U.S. Online Retail Economy in Q3 2014
Andrew Lipsman, Vice President, Marketing & Insights
Gian Fulgoni, Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer
Event: comScore Webinar
Desktop e-commerce, up 13% year-over-year in Q3, continues to grow at a faster rate than the overall retail sector, while mobile commerce is providing an increasingly meaningful contribution to total digital commerce.
In this presentation, comScore Chairman Emeritus & Co-Founder Gian Fulgoni and comScore VP of Marketing & Insights Andrew Lipsman take an in-depth look at the online retail trends that will drive this holiday season and impact the market.
Key insights from the webinar include:
- Q3 2014 Total Digital Commerce accelerates marginally to 14% year-over-year as it continues to gain share from brick-and-mortar.
- Consumer sentiment is improving, but economic concerns remain as 31% of consumers still rate economic conditions as poor.
- Free shipping continues to grow in importance hitting an all-time non-Q4 high in Q3 at 68%, suggesting still a need for retailer deals.
- comScore forecasts a cautiously optimistic 16% growth in online spending this holiday season, with desktop expected to grow 14% year-over-year and mobile expected to grow 25%.
- 5 S’s expected to play important role in retailers’ holiday success:
- Short Calendar
- Social Commerce
- Smartphone Apps
- Sit-Back Shopping
Tags: e-Commerce, Holiday Shopping, m-Commerce, Mobile, Retail