#15 TV Market Rank
1.51 Million TV Households
355 Zip Codes
Tampa-St. Petersburg residents viewed 6.1M hours of local news telecasts this week, up approximately 5% versus the previous week.
Tampa-St. Petersburg Versus Top 10 Local TV Markets
Despite ranking just outside of the top 10 markets, Tampa-St. Petersburg, FL held its own on social media this week, ranking first in both video views and shares. Many of these views can be attributed to a few high-performing Facebook and YouTube live streams reporting on the impending Hurricane Ian.
Top Telecasts in Tampa-St. Petersburg: Broadcast Networks
Key Insights: Tampa-St. Petersburg residents followed national trends this week, as NFL viewing dominated this week’s rankings.
- Tampa Bay fans showed their support from home this week, as nearly 30% of households tuned in to watch the local favorite take on Green Bay.
- Broadcast networks’ performance remained fairly stable across the top three networks this week, with a less than 1 point difference in rating across WTVT (FOX,) WFLA (NBC,) and WTSP (CBS.)
Top Telecasts in Tampa-St. Petersburg: Cable Networks
Key Insights: NFL and political commentary telecasts continued their success in Tampa-St. Petersburg this week.
- The Weather Channel saw a sharp increase in viewership this week as residents braced for the impending storm. The channel’s average audience grew approximately 420% versus the previous week, an increase of nearly 7K households.
- Tampa Bay fans turned their eyes outside their division Monday night, as the MNF game in Buffalo earned an average audience of nearly 75K.
Social Media: Residents Anticipate Change in Tampa-St. Petersburg
Key Insights: Tampa-St. Petersburg kept things casual this week, seeing success with light-hearted posts across Facebook.
Cross-Platform metrics across Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter:
- 8.3M video views
- 995K social actions
- 190K shares
- 3k pieces of content
- 37K video shares
Definitions and Methodology
- Cable Television - a system in which television programs are transmitted to the sets of subscribers by cable rather than by a broadcast signal and usually is a paid subscription.
- Broadcast Network Television - free, over-the-air broadcast television networks and local television stations (whether digital or otherwise) in the United States that are licensed by the FCC, regardless of whether a viewer accesses the signal of such networks or stations over-the-air or through other means.
- Average Audience (AA) – Average number of TVs tuned to an entity throughout the selected time frame
- Households (HH) – Number of unique households reporting at least one minute of viewing for the selected time frame and classification (telecast, network, etc.)
- Share (SH) – The average audience of a particular program relative to the total average audience across all programming during the same time frame. Calculated by dividing the avg. audience of a telecast and/or network by the avg. audience over all telecasts airing at the same time (x100)
- Rating (RTG) – The percentage of the household universe that viewed the classification (network, telecast, ad, etc.). Calculated by dividing AA by the total TV households in the selected market(s)
- Hours Viewed per Household (Hrs/V-HH) – Average hours viewed per household during the selected time frame
- Video Views (Cross-Platform) – Total video views across Facebook, Twitter and YouTube
- Actions (Cross-Platform) – Total number of actions (reactions, shares, comments, retweets, favorites, loves) the specified property receives during the defined time period across the combined space of Facebook, Twitter & Instagram.
- Shares (Cross-Platform) - The total number of time the specific property’s posts were shared on Facebook or Retweeted on Twitter during the defined time period.