State of the U.S. Online Retail Economy in Q1 2014
Andrew Lipsman, Gian Fulgoni
Event: comScore presentation
E-commerce, up 12 percent year-over-year on desktop in Q1, continues to grow at a faster rate than the overall retail sector, while mobile commerce is providing an increasingly meaningful contribution to total digital commerce. In this presentation, comScore Chairman Emeritus & Co-Founder Gian Fulgoni and comScore VP of Marketing & Insights Andrew Lipsman take an in-depth look at the year’s online retail trends and what they mean for retailers going forward.
Some highlights in the presentation include:
- Total digital commerce continues to gain share from brick-and-mortar, as it grew 13 percent year-over-year.
- Mobile commerce is driving 12 percent of total e-commerce dollars today, growing at double the rate of desktop.
- Consumer sentiment improved, but price sensitivity remains a major driver of e-commerce behavior.
- Free shipping continues to gain in importance, hitting an all-time non-Q4 high in Q1 at 58 percent.
- Mobile and social commerce are becoming more significant factors in shopping and buying behavior.
Tags: Amazon, e-Commerce, m-Commerce, Retail, Social