Online Shoppers are Digitally Connected And Want More Choices
Data security, shipping options and flexible returns drive brand loyalty
Mexico City, September 26, 2013 - Comscore, Inc., a leader in measuring the digital world, and UPS today released the results of the UPS Pulse of the Online Shopper Study™: A Customer Experience Study, a report analyzing e-commerce preferences including mobile trends, social media impact and the integrated buying experience of shopping in physical stores and online – also known as omnichannel retailing.
In March, Comscore asked more than 1,000 online shoppers in Mexico which factors led them to shop more on their computers, smartphones or tablets; abandon shopping carts; and recommend retailers to friends.
According to the report, consumers want more information at the start of the online experience and more options during checkout and delivery. And almost 40% of consumers shop on international websites to find more diverse product selections. Data security is also an important factor.
Consumers want the ability to shop anywhere and anytime through multiple channels.
- 67% of shoppers said they want the ability to buy online and make returns in-store, while 52% are likely to complete a purchase in-store on their mobile device.
- The mobile market in Mexico is growing rapidly with 77% of online shoppers owning a smartphone and 46% owning a tablet.
- More than half said they are less likely to compare prices when using a store’s mobile app, while 62% said they would buy more from a retailer who sends promotions and/or coupons to their smartphones that can be used in-store.
- Consumers are using social networks to find better deals – 97% said they use at least one social network and 49% said they “like” a brand on Facebook to receive a promotion or incentive.
More Choices and Convenience
Consumers also said they want more control over their online shopping experience. While browsing for items, consumers are looking for flexible delivery options and free shipping.
- 53% said they have added items to their shopping carts in order to qualify for free shipping.
- 71% of consumers are also looking for more payment options – one of the top reasons they abandon shopping carts.
- 69% said tracking is essential with many consumers wanting the ability to track a package directly from the retailer’s website.
- 57% want to track shipments through a mobile device.
- Timely arrival of shipments was the number one reason online shoppers recommended a particular retailer (55%), followed by shipping reliability (51%), and availability of free shipping (50%).
An increasing number of consumers are returning online purchases and they want a quick turnaround on product exchanges.
- 62% of shoppers are most likely to review a returns policy before making a purchase.
- 73% said they would shop more often with a retailer with a “no questions asked” return policy, and 78% would recommend that retailer to a friend.
About the UPS Pulse of the Online Shopper: A Customer Experience Study
The study evaluates consumer shopping habits from pre-purchase to post-delivery and is based on a Comscore survey of more than 1,000 online shoppers in Mexico.
To download a copy of the report and infographic please visit: www.ups.com/comprasenlinea
The global study is based on a Comscore survey of more than 14,000 frequent online shoppers in the U.S., Europe (Belgium, Netherlands, France, Germany, Italy and the UK), Asia (China, Hong Kong, Singapore), Australia, Mexico and Canada. Click on this animated map to learn more about each region.
Comscore, Inc. (NASDAQ: SCOR) is a global leader in digital measurement and analytics, delivering insights on web, mobile and TV consumer behavior that enable clients to maximize the value of their digital investments. For more information, please visit www.comscore.com/companyinfo.
UPS (NYSE:UPS) is a global leader in logistics, offering a broad range of solutions including the transportation of packages and freight; the facilitation of international trade, and the deployment of advanced technology to more efficiently manage the world of business. Headquartered in Atlanta, Ga., UPS serves more than 220 countries and territories worldwide. The company can be found on the web at UPS.com and its corporate blog can be found at blog.ups.com. To get UPS news direct, visit pressroom.ups.com/RSS.
Ana Laura Zain
Sr. Manager, Corporate Marketing, EMEA
+44 20 3111 1730