- July 31, 2017
Video Gaming Insights
Each month Comscore creates a Data Insight presentation on a different topic in digital. In this June 2017 edition, the topic is video gaming.
- The video game console ecosystem is moving towards faster, more iterative updates, at a time when many gamers own more than one console.
- Over 50% of the online audience owns at least one video game console, with many owning two or more.
- Millennial males still make up that majority of hardcore console gamers, while casual console gamers cut across all age and gender breaks.
- Playing video games is now only one way people enjoy them as entertainment, as game streaming and competitive video gaming have become passive entertainment.
- While many Millennials play mobile games occasionally, many frequent and continual players skew older while the mobile audience in general skews towards Women.
- While viral mobile apps like Pokémon GO can make a splash, the mobile game market has become stable and mature.