State of the U.S. Online Retail Economy in Q3 2017
Digital commerce continues to grow strongly, while the recent acceleration in mobile commerce is driving an increasingly meaningful contribution to sector growth.
In this presentation, Comscore SVP of Marketing & Insights Andrew Lipsman and Comscore Head of Retail Client Insights Ryan Williams examine the recent trends in online retail through Q3 with an eye toward what it means for the 2017 holiday season.
Key insights from the webinar include:
- Q3 2017 was the 4th consecutive quarter with $100B in online spending, going back to Q4 2016.
- Both desktop and mobile commerce showed strong growth rates, and growth is being driven by both an increase in buyers and buying rate.
- The majority of product categories experienced year-over-year growth rates of 15% or greater.
- The 2017 holiday season has a very positive outlook, bolstered by strong growth over preceding quarters, improving consumer sentiment, an extra shopping day and an uptick in free shipping.
- Emerging consumer tech products, such as the latest smartphones, gaming consoles and smart speakers, should also create excitement for this holiday season.