Cyber Monday Posts a 12-Percent Annual Gain to $2.3 Billion in Online Desktop Sales, While Weekend Buying Increased 8 Percent
Full Thanksgiving-Cyber Monday Period Achieved Strong Growth Rate of 10 Percent vs. Year Ago
RESTON, VA, December 2, 2015 – Comscore (NASDAQ : SCOR), a global media measurement and analytics company, today reported holiday season U.S. retail e-commerce spending from desktop computers for the first 30 days of the November-December 2015 holiday season. For the holiday season-to-date, $27.9 billion has been spent online, marking a 6-percent increase versus the corresponding days last year.
Cyber Monday reached $2.28 billion in desktop online spending, up 12 percent versus year ago, representing the heaviest online spending day in history and the first day of the 2015 season to surpass $2 billion in sales. The weekend after Thanksgiving also reached a major milestone as it saw its first ever billion-dollar online shopping day on Sunday, while Saturday sales reached the $1 billion mark for second year in a row. The two days combined posted particularly strong growth online, raking in $2.169 billion for an increase of 8 percent compared to the same weekend last year. For the five-day period from Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday, online buying from desktop computers totaled $7.201 billion, up 10 percent versus last year.
*Corresponding days based on corresponding shopping days (November 2 thru December 1, 2014)
Mobile Commerce Brings Total Cyber Monday Spend to More Than $3 BillionTotal digital spend on Cyber Monday, when inclusive of Comscore’s preliminary mobile commerce estimates, reached $3.118 billion, a 21-percent annual gain vs. $2.586 billion spent on Cyber Monday 2014. This marks the first time in history that total digital spend surpassed the $3 billion milestone in a single day. Mobile commerce is estimated to have accounted for 27 percent of total digital commerce on Cyber Monday 2015, with $838 million spent via smartphones and tablets.
Amazon Ranks #1 Among Online Retailers on Cyber Monday107.8 million Americans visited online retail properties on Cyber Monday using a desktop computer, smartphone or tablet, representing an increase of 23 percent versus year ago. Amazon ranked as the most visited online retail property on Cyber Monday, followed by Walmart, eBay, Target and Best Buy.
“Cyber Monday maintained its reputation as the most important online spending day of year, exceeding $3 billion in total digital spending and once again becoming the heaviest online spending day of all-time,” said Comscore chairman emeritus Gian Fulgoni. “Despite some talk of Cyber Monday declining in importance, the day’s historical highs and continued strong growth rates confirm it is still a hugely important shopping event.”
Fulgoni added, “It comes as no surprise that Amazon led all online retail properties in Cyber Monday traffic, but several multi-channel retailers such Walmart and Target also had very strong showings. Although some web sites experienced unfortunate server problems on Cyber Monday that appear to have been caused by heavy mobile traffic, it’s not yet clear what the impact was for those retailers. What is clear is that the consumer economy is still healthy, and it’s looking optimistic that the success of Black Friday weekend and Cyber Monday will carry on throughout the rest of the season.”
Shopping at Work Accounts for More Than Half of Cyber Monday SpendingMore than half of desktop e-commerce dollars spent in the U.S. on Cyber Monday originated from work computers (52.2 percent), while buying from home computers comprised of the remaining share (47.8 percent), despite more buyers opting to make purchases from this location. Consumers between 35 and 54 years old accounted for 46.5 percent of total dollars spent on Cyber Monday, while females (61.6 percent) spent significantly more than males (38.4 percent).
About ComscoreFounded in 1999 and headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Comscore, Inc. (NASDAQ: SCOR) is a global media measurement and analytics company that makes audiences and advertising more valuable across all the screens that matter. Comscore helps media buyers and sellers understand and make decisions based on how consumers use different media, such as TV, video, mobile, desktop and more. Through its products and services, Comscore helps its more than 2,500 clients understand their audiences, know if their advertising is working, and access data where they want and need it. Please visit www.comscore.com to learn more.
+1 (312) email@example.com