The 2015 U.S. Mobile App Report
Digital media time in the U.S. has exploded recently – growing nearly 50 percent in the past two years, with more than three-fourths of that growth directly attributable to the mobile app. Mobile has grown so fast that it’s now the leading digital platform, with total activity on smartphones and tablets accounting for 62 percent of digital media time spent, and apps alone now representing the majority of digital media time at 54 percent.
Why have apps become such a powerful force in our daily media lives? The power of habit. The 2015 U.S. Mobile App Report explores the dynamics of mobile media consumption, audiences, and user habits to understand what’s behind this surge in mobile activity, and how publishers and advertisers can take advantage.
Some key topics covered in the report include:
- The implication of mobile apps’ growing share of digital media usage time
- The mobile web’s critical role in expanding audience reach
- The value of the home screen, how users behave with it, and other consumer habits on smartphones
- Deep dives into some of the fastest growing apps, such as Tinder, Uber, Timehop and Fitbit
- The key role of social and entertainment apps, and how they account for the majority of users’ app engagement
- The top apps among Millennials, and this group’s influence in all facets of app behavior
- The effectiveness of mobile advertising, including research on native in-app video ads