Year in Review 2022
New analysis from Comscore reveals mobile’s share of total digital commerce accounts for almost 40% of all consumer online retail spend
Monday January 30, 2023 - Comscore, a leader in global media measurement, today announced that the internet recorded the largest year of digital commerce in its history in 2022, exceeding $1 trillion in online retail consumer spend for the first time in the U.S. This reflects a 21% increase in spend year-over-year (YoY).
That’s according to the company’s 2023 State of Digital Commerce Report, which analyzed online retail purchases across desktop and mobile devices. Comscore’s Digital Commerce Measurement includes all online retail spending except for travel.
In Q4, the biggest spending quarter of the year, dollars spent on mobile devices in the U.S. also grew at a higher rate than on desktop devices, 26% vs 14%, with mobile’s share of total digital commerce reaching nearly 40%.
“We’ve been measuring digital commerce trends for over two decades, including the addition of mobile in 2013. This has really given us a front row seat to digital commerce growth over the years, as well as the increased pace of adoption during the pandemic,” said Comscore’s Ian Essling, Senior Director of Survey Insights, Comscore.
“At the beginning of the pandemic in 2020, digital commerce was at $705.4 billion. A year later, it hit $904.3 billion, and this year we’re over $1 trillion. That level of growth previously took four years to achieve. Consumers are clearly doubling down on what works best for them--seamless, convenient, online purchasing across many different verticals and product types.”
Comscore’s State of Digital Commerce report also reveals:
To download the full report, visit: https://www.comscore.com/The-State-of-Digital-Commerce
About ComscoreComscore (NASDAQ: SCOR) is a trusted partner for planning, transacting and evaluating media across platforms. With a data footprint that combines digital, linear TV, over-the-top and theatrical viewership intelligence with advanced audience insights, Comscore allows media buyers and sellers to quantify their multi screen behavior and make business decisions with confidence. A proven leader in measuring digital and TV audiences and advertising at scale, Comscore is the industry’s emerging, third-party source for reliable and comprehensive cross-platform measurement.